MotherWoman supports and empowers mothers to create positive personal and
social change for ourselves, our families, our communities and the world.
- Unrealistic Expectations: The cultural myth of the "Good Mother" sets unrealistic expectations for mothers. This unattainable ideal contributes to maternal stress, depression, and an environment of judgement among women.
- Isolation: Many parents are increasingly isolated from neighborhood, friends, and extended family. We are working longer and harder to provide for our families, and have fewer places to go when we're in need.
- Maternal Depression: The United States has among the highest rates of maternal depression in the world. Many mothers experience emotional difficulties in the postpartum period. Up to 1 in 4 mothers suffers from postpartum depression (PPD).
- Appalling Family Policy: The United States is one of only four countries in the world without guaranteed paid maternity leave. Mothers are 44% less likely to be hired than equally qualified women without children. Women without children make 90 cents to a man's dollar, mothers make 73 cents, and single mothers make 60 cents to a man's dollar.
- Mothers are powerful. Together we can change the world.
- When mothers are valued and supported, we are more successful in all areas of our lives, benefiting our children, families and communities.
- Creating communities of genuine respect and non-judgment for all mothers increases our collective power.
- Laws and policies that support families benefit everyone.
Mothers’ Support Groups - Led by trained facilitators, our groundbreaking support groups offer mothers a chance to talk openly about the challenges of parenting, to gain support and build community.
Facilitator Training – Comprehensive training that provides diverse community leaders and professionals with the skills needed to offer new MotherWoman Support Groups.
Professional Training – Teaches medical and social service providers about the complex mental health and socio-political factors involved in the crisis of postpartum emotional complications.
Postpartum Support Initiative – Builds comprehensive, multi-disciplinary safety nets for mothers in the four counties of Western MA by creating Perinatal Support Coalitions of professionals who serve mothers.
Policy and Advocacy – Nonpartisan advocacy program which raises awareness about social and economic justice issues, and organizes mothers, fathers and caregivers to take action on issues impacting families. Our philosophy is in alignment with the ‘MOTHERS’ issues of MomsRising.org.